Monday, February 2, 2015

Retro Toys – Do you remember these from your childhood?




Retro seems to be a new buzzword these days – retro clothes, retro shoes – so how about some retro toys?  There are a LOT of toys still around that delighted us (and our parents, and even our grandparents.)  We’ve already mentioned a few, such as Tinkertoys and Playmobil.  How many of the ones below do you remember?

Spirograph – I loved this toy.  I spent hours making all kinds of designs in all kinds of colors… on every piece of paper I could find, including those I shouldn’t have used.  Spirograph is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.

Simon – I still remember when Simon first came out.  As soon as I saw what it was, I said I have to have one of these!  (Yes, this was before computers and game consoles were everywhere.)  

Operation – I didn’t have one of these, but my friend did and I was so jealous.  The premise of Operation is so simple, yet so challenging.  The one piece I could almost never get out - the charley horse.  I’d lose every time on that one!

Rubik’s Cube – Released worldwide in 1980, the Rubik’s Cube exploded in popularity.  I had a love-hate relationship with the Rubik’s Cube.  I was completely determined to solve it but never could get more than 4 sides.  Finally got a hold of a hint book so I could ‘solve’ it myself! 

Trouble – Admit it – you sat there at some point just repeatedly popping the dice to get on your parents’ nerves.  But it was so much fun to do!  This board game is still around, both in classic and new editions.

Board games… I think that’s a topic for another day (like tomorrow.)