Saturday, July 11, 2015

Classic Learning Resources Toys


Growing up, one of my favorite toys was my play cash register. I spent hours “selling” everything in the house to my parents and brothers, from food out of the market set set to my brother’s own plastic farm animals. It is exciting to see that sets like these that meant so much to me over 20 years ago are still popular today. Clearly the learning skills that are involved in these items are universal. The cash register helps children to not only learn how to count and sort money, but it also helps kids to understand that money is a limited resource, and once they have spent all of their “play” money they lose their purchasing power unless they can earn more! Early economics!

Of course, technology has advanced and the toys today have more features, such as voice recordings, other sounds, and interactive lights. They are also made bigger, so the money is the same size as real cash and coins. Many shoppers use coupons and credit cards today, and these devices accommodate both (something my decades old one did not). Don’t even get me started on how awesome the built-in scanner and scales are! These kids will be ready for their first retail job at the age of 4!

In addition to engaging the imagination and group play, these modern play cash registers also have built-in games, so children can be entertained for hours on end. Watch for many of these play cash registers to be featured Black Friday Toy Deals this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment